miércoles, 15 de agosto de 2007

Buenavista Birthday

My third trip to Buenavista: each time for a cumpleanos celebration. This weekend it was Dona Nieve's birthday and we ate, yet again, Pozole (and yes...I enjoyed it!). It was around the time of this trip I realized I was so lucky last summer; of the many pueblos I could have lived in, I lived in Buenavista. The hills surrounding it, the streets tucked in and around the base of the hills, and the people. This particular trip my walk up to the house included about an hour chat with Lola at the new restaurant where she works (before her boss returned) and nearly another hour chat with Marcos in front of the paleteria (okay, Mark, but I've taken to Sandra's translation). The following day I met an entire new family when I went with Mode who cooked the family tacos made with all the inner-systems: liver, heart, intestine...and two organs I'm not sure how they translated to english, perhaps for the better. Believe it: the tacos were great. I also played the jumping-in-sequences-over-the-rubber-band-stretched-between-two-nina's-legs with four cousins. Fun, but eventually liver became perferable to the yelling of the cousins over cheating and rules and levels. On my way down (this family lived up up up the side of the mountain) I surmised the woman cutting up the coconuts was Mode's sister, stopped to introduce myself, and we had a nice conversation before the kids with me tired of waiting. Off to the paper store to buy a bag for the present, and then to Dona Nieve's kitchen. The entire extended family from Tequesquitengo had already arrived (who we visited last year for Dona Nieve's sister's birthday). This year's celebration had a sweet little twist at the end. Sona hired a man to provide live music: esta son las mananitas...

1 comentario:

jonicka.sperl dijo...

Shannon- ohh my goodness it looks sooo much fun you are soo lucky
!! well next time you go tell HI to everyone for us:)
-jonicka